Thursday, June 14, 2012

Fine Art Photography and Digital Painting



Multnomah Falls, Columbia River Gorge, Oregon
Canon 5D Mark II, 16-35mm f/2.8 II lens
1/25 sec f/4.0, ISO 100, 21 mm
For a week at the end of April and early May I attended the 2012 Texas School of Professional Photography enrolled in Tina and Michael Timmons' class entitled, "Beyond Image Capture".  The class included professional and amateur photographers with an array of backgrounds and skills.  We spent a week learning Photoshop, digital painting tools and techniques, shooting photos from new perspectives and processing our work to create fine art.

The artistic process can follow a variety of paths.  The path my classmates and I followed that week was great fun.  I learned more than my brain could hold and gained new skills that make my time shooting and processing photos a lot more fun.  Everyone in the class was there to learn from our instructors and each other.  My classmates were generous with their encouragement and unselfish sharing of expertise and advice.  The class has inspired me to not only get out and shoot more but I've been digging through my library of images applying what I learned to turn them into entirely new and interesting works.

In 2009 Marilyn and I spent some time in Oregon's Columbia River Gorge including the often photographed Multnomah Falls.  Today I revisited one of my photographs of this iconic waterfall, applied some of the skills and techniques learned during the class and produced the image included with this post.  You can click on the image to view a larger version.

Learning is a life-long adventure!  It keeps the brain and soul nourished as well as open to new ideas and adventures.  I wonder what's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment